Thursday, January 04, 2007

Ask a question & get the ball rolling

I'm sure glad I asked "where has SAE gone" a few weeks ago. John and Dave have picked up the ball and are driving towards the goal line. Count me in to help restore the glory that was......
I had the pleasure on Dec 26 of visiting CSUN and seeing the current campus. It was spectacular! The growth was amasing and the variety of collages blew my mind. The student union represented a campus life which I'm sure was outstanding statewide. Linda and I were so impressed that I was moved to make a small tax deductable contribution to the scholarship fund with the university foundation for students involved in Student Government.
I asked our guide about fraternity life and specifically about SAE. He said they had frat houses on campus but said "SAE who?" I shared with him a bit of history of past SAE glory, the distribution of class computer cards at registration, the awards, trophys and domination of grades, student government and athletics, and all he could say was that should be re-established.
Let's make a effort to get our chapter reborn on a campus of 35,000 students.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Cagle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:51 AM  
Blogger John Cagle said...

I've been back on the campus every so many years and am also amazed at all the growth. I've always been proud to be a Northridge alumnus.
I guess we know from history that it is in the nature of things to be constantly changing and reinventing the ideas of who and what we are.
As you know, I began a career at Fresno State in 1970 and I stayed there for many reasons, one of which is that Fresno resembled the San Fernando Valley in the 1960s in many ways--the mix of city and agriculture. Even today as I zip within the speed limit down to the campus from my home on the periphery of the city to the university, there is a mix of houses, businesses, and actual farms. Remember driving on Denonshire?--the orchards, the two-lane road taking us up & down the rolling hills....
I don't think we were much aware then of the changes in America and the world then taking place. In 1902 in America life expectancy was 46, the average wage was 22 cents an hour, there were only 144 miles of paved road in the whole country, only 6% of Americans were even high school graduates, and so on. Changes are continuing
As we begin the project to bring the fraternity back to CSU Northridge, among other things, it will be good to get back in touch with the university that gave each of us such an excellent start on our journey through life....
John Cagle

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home