Friday, May 15, 2009

CSUN 50th Grand Reunion











The 50th Anniversary of CSU Northridge had a Grand Reunion that was indeed grand.
A couple of websites should be on anyone's MUST SEE list:
http://www.csun.edu/50/ including a video covering about 50 years of history from SFVSC on....
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=41145671246 has a bunch of great photographs submitted by alumni, including a large group shot in front of the Starfleet Academy (AKA CSUN Oviatt Library) and a video of President Jolene Koester's greeting and time capsule ceremony.
My wife Eve and I went down and stayed with Joe & Nina Perret. We made arrangements to meet Dave & Rhonda Peterson, Bob & Wendy Fowlie, George & Pam St. Johns, Gary Wartik and his friend Laurie, and Bill Hardy.
I saw some of my fraternity friends, of course, and I really loved talking with people from student government, a bunch of yell leaders and song girls from the 1960s, and people from several fraternities and sororities. We immediately connected again with Tim & Carol Ashlock, Helene Chaliff, Vicki Randall Hayes, and several others. SAE alumni leaders Dorian Quispe and Greg Casalenuovo were there too.
Alas, not all news was good. I learned that some old friends had passed away or suffered severe illnesses. These people were such good friends and such a great influence on me, it brings tears to learn these things.
But that is the way of reunions. I got to meet Frank Tierney who was a Rep-at-Large on our Associated Students Senate who spearheaded the College Union campaign. As a freshman, I was on that committee in 1962. Amazing to see him again. I met Christy Barden who was a yell leader in 1970--someone took a picture of us and of course cut off our heads. I got reunited with Dr. Tom Garnella, who in about March 1962 taught me the "Alley Garoo" and "Strive Team" cheers so I could try out for yell leader; turns out Tom was Stu Olster's partner on the SFVSC golf team. During the time capsule program, Glenn Mahler joined me and Gary Wartik on the stage.
I am posting a few pictures to give the flavor of the event.
We left sorry that our reunion was over and wishing it could go on.
Well, the following week was Pi Kappa Tau Pismo 2009, so all is good.
Phi Alpha,
John Cagle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home